From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using the SyslogAppender
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:20:11 GMT

On Oct 19, 2008, at 11:06 PM, Ole Ersoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to setup an test for logging with syslog to /var/log/
> test.log. So far I have this:
>
> public class Log4JTest    extends TestCase
> {
> 	Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(Log4JTest.class.getName());
>

> 	public void setUp()
> 	{
>
> 		SyslogAppender syslogAppender = new SyslogAppender();
>
> 		BasicConfigurator.configure();

BasicConfigurator creates a ConsoleAppender and attaches it to the
root logger.

> 		logger.addAppender(syslogAppender);
>
> 		syslogAppender.setSyslogHost("localhost");
>
> 		syslogAppender.setFacility("?????");
>
> 		syslogAppender.setLayout(new PatternLayout());

activateOptions() should be called after properties are set to make
them effective.  I'd suggest removing the earlier logger.addAppender()
and adding:

                     syslogAppender.activateOptions();
                     logger.addAppender(syslogAppender);

> 	}
>   public void testApp()
>   {
>   	logger.info("I'm logging with syslog");
>    }
> }
>
> Does anyone know what I need to pass to setFacility, and whether I
> need to make any adjustments in /etc/rsyslog.conf for this to work?
>
> Thanks,
> - Ole

As mentioned in the previous email, SyslogAppender writes to a network
socket to perform syslogging even when logging to the local machine.
Any other approach would require native code.  There is a feature
request for a native code SyslogAppender, but there has not been any
activity.