From "Poythress, Lynn" <apoyt...@skymail.csus.edu>
Subject installing chainsaw on redhat linux box
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:48:24 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to install chainsaw on a redhat linux system.  Here is what I've done so far:

I've downloaded the "standalone" ./sh - unix flavor of chainsaw into my /usr/local/bin/chainsaw
directory.

I've gone to the "Important Distribution Notes" section and downloaded   the VFS, JMSReceiver
and DBReceiver jar files into /usr/local/bin/chainsaw directory.

I've modified the log4j.properties file of the application we are trying to monitor - but
not sure I've done it correctly.  Is the CHAINSAW_CLIENT referred to in the documentation
just a variable name?  If so, what should I be putting in its place?

I've put /usr/local/bin/chainsaw and the directory that has the log4j.properties file into
my CLASSPATH.

When I try to run the chainsaw application I start it with the following command: java -D
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main

I get a small (1x2 inch) GUI box that says CHAINSAW at the top.  However, I cannot expand
the box and the box appears to be empty - essentially useless.

I've seen comments about a .chainsaw directory under /home/user - but I don't have one.  Should
I create one?

Help!  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Lynn Poythress