From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: ChainSaw - accessing a file on a VM
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:00:00 GMT
If this file were accessible via any of the protocols supported by Jakarta Commons VFS, you
could use VFSLogFilePatternReceiver to provide credentials.

If it's windows authentication, you could embed your credentials in the URI using:

smb://myusername:mypassword@192.168.1.100/log/xxx.log

You can also set the 'promptForUserInfo' param on the receiver to true to get a username/password
prompt, if you don't want to embed credentials in your receiver config file, and then use:

smb://192.168.1.100/log/xxx.log

Here are some links:

Commons VFS home page:
http://commons.apache.org/vfs/

Supported file systems (see the CIFS section):
http://commons.apache.org/vfs/filesystems.html

VFSLogFilePatternReceiver javadoc:
http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/chainsaw/vfs/VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.html

Note, Commons VFS has third-party dependencies you'll need to download depending on the file
system you're using:
http://commons.apache.org/vfs/download.html
(in your case, commons logging and jCIFS)

Also, follow the directions on this Chainsaw page to use VFS and other receivers which have
external dependencies:
http://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/distributionnotes.html

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS