From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging method name
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:30:17 GMT

On Jun 3, 2008, at 6:45 AM, Duseja, Sushil wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I used event.getLocationInformation().getMethodName() to log the
> method
> name (where event is the LoggingEvent object), but it does not
> appear to
> be correctly logging the method name; it's fetching - '?' instead. Can
> anyone please point me to the correct way of doing the same?
>
> It seems as if the LocationInfo object is null. Do I need to set this
> object?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Your application could have been compiled without debugging
information which would result in that behavior.

Also, since construction of a Throwable to collect the stack trace is
expensive and often not used, it is only constructed on request.
Since it has to be constructed while on the same thread as the
original call, the AsyncAppender has a parameter to determine whether
that info should be collected before the event is placed in a queue to
be processed by a worker thread.   If you are using an AsyncAppender,
set locationInfo to true.

Also, the current code was written before the addition of
Throwable.getStackTrace() and attempts to capture and parse the output
of printStackTrace which is by nature a bit fragile.  There have been
a couple of bugs fixed related to that, particularly involving the
JRockit VM or class where the class name also appears in the namespace
(org.example.FooBar.Foo).

If you believe that you are running into this, please tell the list
what JVM and version of log4j that you are using.  If you could step
through the LocationInformation constructor and report your
observations would be helpful.