From "Julius Davies" <juliusdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log4j best practises
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 05:52:17 GMT
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Lilianne E. Blaze
<lilianne_blaze@tlen.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
> One more thing - why should "A Log Rotation Best Practice That Is Currently
> Not Possible" be impossible?
>
> Either
> 1) Implement it extending rolling file appender. Should be reasonably easy.
> Disadvantage - tied to a speficic api.

Yes!!!!  And now I'm waiting for your patch.....  :-p

> 2) Start a daemon thread which logs the required info immediately, and then
> once every midnight (or whenever your logs roll). Advantage - compatible
> with everything (assuming it's using JCL or similar wrapper), disadvantage -
> its output will probably end up not on the top of the file, but somewhere in
> 1st minute.

It's quite hard to hit every "active" log file using approach #2.
Log4J might have created hundreds of active logs in parallel, all
getting rotated on different frequencies.

--
yours,

Julius Davies
250-592-2284 (Home)