From "Serroul, Carol" <Carol.Serr...@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
Subject RE: Including log4j in war file
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:30:24 GMT
Thanks!  I searched and couldn't find anything that said it for sure.  Your response triggered
the right words in my head and I found this link which says the same thing.

http://www.jguru.com/faq/view.jsp?EID=550391

Carol Serroul | Senior Systems Analyst | Analyste principal des systèmes
613-993-2667 | facsimile / télécopieur 613-991-2857 | carol.serroul@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
CISTI, National Research Council Canada | 1200 Montreal Road Ottawa ON  K1A 0R6
ICIST, National Research Council Canada | 1200, chemin Montréal Ottawa ON  K1A 0R6

-----Original Message-----
From: James A. N. Stauffer [mailto:stauffer.james@gmail.com]
Sent: 06/04/2008 10:13 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: Including log4j in war file

That fits with how I understand the configuration.  If you include log4j.jar in your war then
the classloader will use that jar instead of the jar in common/lib and will use the config
in the war also.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Serroul, Carol <Carol.Serroul@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I debated which list to send this to as I'm not sure if it is a tomcat issue or a log4j
one.

> We have a tomcat environment (5.5.25) with log4j-1.2.14.jar located in common/lib.  Each
app that we deploy generally has a log4j.properties file to configure it's own logging.  What
we've found is that if we don't include the log4j file in the war file for each application,
all of our logging output goes to tomcat.log.  If we deploy a log4j jar file with our war
file, the logging works correctly.

> Have any of you run into anything similar?  I can send whatever config files might be
necessary but don't want to pre-emptively flood you with information.

--
James A. N. Stauffer http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/