From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j in Websphere EAR and classpath problem
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:51:32 GMT
I have no specific experience with Websphere, but it's pretty clear that it is
using parent-first classloading behavior.  I'm also guessing that you are
using manual configuration of Log4j, at least for the webapps (a startup
servlet or a servlet context listener, perhaps?).  In this case, the last
applicaton loaded is the one which determines the final configuration state of
the logger repository.

There are a couple ways to approach this....

1.  Configure parent-last (also called child-first) classloading behavior for
the webapps

2.  Use a repository selector.  For J2EE apps, the best option is probably one
based on JNDI.  You can find one compatible with Log4j-1.2.xx here...

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/AppContainerLogging

You'll have to set this programmatically.  Does Websphere provide a startup
class that runs before anything else?  Log4j 1.3 had a nice feature where it
allowed you to set this as a system property like this....

-Dlog4j.repositorySelector=JNDI
OR
-Dlog4j.repositorySelector=fully.qualified.ClassName
It would be great to have this in Log4j-1.2.xx, but I'm not sure how likely
that is to happen?

Jake