From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j 1.2.15 Rolling file appender building files.. not rolling them
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:08:38 GMT

On Apr 24, 2008, at 6:59 AM,
Bhramara.Chickamuniswamy@iflexsolutions.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using log4j version 1.2.15.
>
> RollingFileAppender used in the configuration works fine with the app
> deployed on the local machine, with MaxFileSize and MaxBackUp index
> behaving as expected. However on a server where the application is
> deployed, the log files build up to much higher sizes - 5MB, 3MB etc
> and
> the BackUp files are randomly deleted. I see only infra.log and
> infra.log.2 etc.

A failure on an attempt to rename a file may keep the file active
longer than expected.  In addition, if you have multiple instances
writing to the same file, then the rollover logic will only attempt to
role when that particular instance has written enough data to have the
file reach the rollover threshold.   If you do have multiple instances
writing to the same thing, bad things are very likely to occur after
the rollover is trigger.  The specifics vary by platform.

First, may sure that you do not have multiple instances writing to the
same file.  If the problem persists, try to find if anything else
(backup software, viewers, etc) are keep the files open.