From Bhramara.Chickamunisw...@iflexsolutions.com
Subject RE: log4j 1.2.15 Rolling file appender building files.. not rolling them
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:57:35 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

By multiple instances writing to the same file, do u mean multiple
application servers, with the same application deployed, on the single
machine writing to same file? Because right now, we only have one
application server + application running, which logs to the files.

Regards,
Bhramara

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 4:39 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: log4j 1.2.15 Rolling file appender building files.. not
rolling them

On Apr 24, 2008, at 6:59 AM,
Bhramara.Chickamuniswamy@iflexsolutions.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using log4j version 1.2.15.
>
> RollingFileAppender used in the configuration works fine with the app
> deployed on the local machine, with MaxFileSize and MaxBackUp index
> behaving as expected. However on a server where the application is
> deployed, the log files build up to much higher sizes - 5MB, 3MB etc
> and
> the BackUp files are randomly deleted. I see only infra.log and
> infra.log.2 etc.

A failure on an attempt to rename a file may keep the file active
longer than expected.  In addition, if you have multiple instances
writing to the same file, then the rollover logic will only attempt to
role when that particular instance has written enough data to have the
file reach the rollover threshold.   If you do have multiple instances
writing to the same thing, bad things are very likely to occur after
the rollover is trigger.  The specifics vary by platform.

First, may sure that you do not have multiple instances writing to the
same file.  If the problem persists, try to find if anything else
(backup software, viewers, etc) are keep the files open.

DISCLAIMER:
This message contains privileged and confidential information and is intended only for an
individual named. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute,
store, print, copy or deliver this message. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. The sender, therefore,
 does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version.