From "Robert Pepersack" <RPepers...@mdinsurance.state.md.us>
Subject Specify Repository
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:58:53 GMT
I've checked the archives and didn't find an answer, but please forgive me if this a duplicate
post.

I would like to be able to specify a repository for my logger to use.  For example:  Logger
logger = new Logger("my.class.name", "myRepositoryName");

I read Chapter 8, "Extending log4j", and it said that subclassing Logger is a bad idea.  I
don't see a way to accomplish what I want by wrapping Logger.  So, I think, that the only
way to do it would be to tweak a few of the log4j classes (i.e. Logger, LogManager, RepositorySelector,
and DefaultRepositorySelector).  Would anyone be interested in this, or am I barking up the
wrong tree?  I realize that this could open a can of worms with a lot of repositories getting
created, but, if we're carful, this could be very useful.

Thanks,

Robert Pepersack
Senior Lead Developer
Maryland Insurance Administration