From "Robert Pepersack" <RPepers...@mdinsurance.state.md.us>
Subject Re: Log Utility
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:43:36 GMT
The Logger.isDebugEnabled() method applies to all of the classes that use your configured log4j
repository.  If you have your all of your loggers set to DEBUG, then Logger.isDebugEnabled()
will return true, no matter what class it gets called in.

Robert Pepersack
Senior Lead Developer
Maryland Insurance Administration
410-468-2054

>>> Tim Nguyen <timgozag@yahoo.com> 04/04/2008 4:35 PM >>>
Thank you! It is similar to what I wanted to do. This is more like the solution for one class.
Is there anyway to check for all classes? I have hundreds of classes and I want to have an
util that I can just replace the current logging  (e.g: logger.debug("String")) with LogUtil
(e.g: LogUtil.debug("String") and it does the trick. That way I can just replace All the logger
with LogUtil :)

Thanks again for your help!

----- Original Message ----
From: Robert Pepersack <RPepersack@mdinsurance.state.md.us>
To: Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2008 12:14:30 PM
Subject: Re: Log Utility

Hi Tim,

The Logger class has a way of checking the level first.

First put this in your instance variables:

    private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("my.package.MyClass");

    private final boolean debug = logger.isDebugEnabled();

Then put this in your method:

        if (this.debug)
        {
            logger.debug(new String("test"));
        }

Hope this helps.

Robert Pepersack
Senior Lead Developer
Maryland Insurance Administration
410-468-2054

>>> Tim Nguyen <timgozag@yahoo.com> 04/04/2008 3:02 PM >>>
Hi,

I am writing a Log Utility to check the log level first before creating a string object. For
example, if my log level is INFO, and I call:

log.debug(new String("test"));

It will still instantiate the String object even thought it doesn't log anything.

So I would like to write an Utility to check the level first, if the log level is lower, then
I don't have to instantiate the object and just skip it.
Anybody knows what is the easy way to do that?

Thanks,