From "Sertic Mirko, Bedag" <Mirko.Ser...@bedag.ch>
Subject AW: Use Chainsaw in existing Swing application
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:13:23 GMT
Hi Scott

Thank you for your reply.

So do I have to wait for the next release, or can I get the fixed version
from CVS/SVN or somewhere else?

I am thinking of the following usecase for my application:

The application start.
The user can click a menu item -> show application logs
chainsaw should start showing every log entry since application startup
( in a different frame, or a modal dialog ).

Would this be possible, or do I have to write my own
log viewer?

Regards
Mirko

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Scott Deboy [mailto:sdeboy@comotivsystems.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 9. April 2008 18:42
An: Log4J Users List
Betreff: RE: Use Chainsaw in existing Swing application

The org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppender appender will allow you
to start Chainsaw when your UI launches (or you can do it yourself
programmatically using the same code the appender uses).

However...Chainsaw won't work with this appender until the next release
of Chainsaw (I just committed a fix to Chainsaw to support this
appender).

Here's an example appender configuration that you can add to your log4j
xml file to get Chainsaw to load:

<appender name="CHAINSAW-UI"
class="org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.ChainsawAppender">
  <param name="viewerClass" value="org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LogUI"/>
</appender>

And then add that appender to your root logger with an appender-ref:

<root>
<appender-ref ref="CHAINSAW-UI"/>
</root>

Scott Deboy