From Rob Davis-5 <t...@robertjdavis.co.uk>
Subject Simple log4j setup 1) to System.out.println (or eclipse console) or 2) file and 3) enableable at runtime + without need for log4j.xml ?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:10:54 GMT

Hi, I'm looking at setting up a simple log4j setup to:
1) output logs to System.out.println (or the Eclipse console) when
developing software
2) output to file(s) when the software is used in production
3) enableable/disableable at runtime - e.g. via a method

Is this possible without using a log4j.xml file ?
Is there a log4j class that I can call methods on directly to set up the
above three things?

If I do wish to use a log4j.xml then is there an example log4j.xml file I
can look at? The links to examples at
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/index.html are broken

I've tried to read the documentation but there is too much for the simple
set up that I want to start with. For example the 'short introduction' at:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/manual.html isn't really that short and
has lots of information that I don't need at this stage.

I've also searched this forum too but not found a simple getting started
guide.

Please help. Thanks.

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Simple-log4j-setup-1%29-to-System.out.println-%28or-eclipse-console%29-or-2%29-file-and-3%29-enableable-at-runtime-%2B-without-need-for-log4j.xml---tp16964275p16964275.html