From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: Everybody's logging but me
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:16:17 GMT

On 13/03/2008, at 8:30 AM, Clinton Weiss wrote:

> Paul Smith wrote:
>> I'd suggest starting by adding 'log4j.debug=true' to your
>> configuration file (or as a system property).  You may be surprised
>> to see something reconfiguring behind your back.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Paul
>
> Paul,
>
> I'm glad you brought this up, I've been having this issue with
> libraries that insist on creating their own log files and ignoring
> my own setup.
>
> How can I prevent reconfiguration?  I have my log4j.xml, and I want
> the configuration defined by this file to be the only one honored.
> Is this possible?

Evil these situations aren't they?  I don't use this, so I'm not sure
if it works, but there is the log4j.configuration system property that
you can specify a _full_ url (don't think it's just a relative path
name, use file://...../myconfig.xml).  This may force log4j to use
that config as soon as  it's triggered, but may not prevent some later
3rd party library code deciding to explicitly do a reconfigure after
even that.

Other than that, you're left with a 'strongly worded letter' to the
3rd party vendor I think.

cheers,

Paul