From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Version 2.0
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 03:23:47 GMT

On Mar 18, 2008, at 6:08 PM, Aaron wrote:

> So I see version 2.0 of log4j on the website, but virtually no
> information at all other than that is still experimental. Is the SVN
> Trunk version 2.0?

No.

> Or is it somewhere else that isn't posted on the
> site? Or some other branch of SVN that isn't listed? I'm curious to
> see if it is far enough along for me to use, and perhaps contribute
> to.

There are some fragmentary experiments around reworking the message
processing pipeline and layouts in http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/experimental/pattern-layout

, but far from a working logging system.

Development has had the chicken and egg syndrome.  Can't do community
based development without others interested or involved in pushing the
project forward and hard for others to be involved or interested
unless the code is complete enough to be usable.  I'd like to be able
to get back to fleshing out log4j 2.0, but it is behind getting
log4cxx 0.10.0, log4j 1.2.16 and Chainsaw released.

log4j 2.0 is currently a set of general ideas and requirements without
any specific code base.  I like what I remember of what I had sketched
out in the experimental stuff.  The process that I envisioned was that
we would do a set of experimental projects around different facets of
log4j 2.0 and then the community would sort out what set of the
experimental projects would be refined into the log4j 2.0 code base.

Further discussion would be best held on the log4j-dev mailing list.