From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: running chainsaw needs log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 14:28:10 GMT

On Jan 3, 2008, at 4:58 AM, Heinrich Götzger wrote:

> Maarten Bosteels wrote:
>> On Jan 3, 2008 9:30 AM, Heinrich Götzger <goetzger@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> do I get this right,
>>>
>>> running actual chainsaw from
>>> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/webstart/chainsaw/chainsaw-bundle.zip
>>> needs log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar on application-side for getting all
>>> LocationInfos via SocketAppender?
>>
>> Yes, that's also my experience: see
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.log4j.user/15607/focus=15611
> Thanks, this is odd, since 1.3-alpha-x seems not being binary
> compatible
> with release 1.2.15 in terms of configureAndWatch and PatterParser
> enhancement. Is there a migration guide somewhere?

log4j 1.3 development has been abandoned for those and other reasons.
The project has provide several log4j "companions" that support
projects migrating back from the log4j 1.3 particularly Chainsaw.  The
SVN HEAD of Chainsaw uses the log4j 1.2.x, there just hasn't been a
release.

If you are looking for a log4j 1.2 -> log4j 1.3 migration guide, we
would recommend that you don't.  If there is something from log4j 1.3
that you miss, let us know and we can either backport it to log4j 1.2
or at least add it to the feature set for the eventual log4j 2.0
development.

If you are looking for a log4j 1.3 -> log4j 1.2 migration guide, we
haven't provided a formal one.  If you were using something that was
labelled alpha, then expecting a formal migration guide is a bit much.

> [...]
>> appenders into the 1.2 codebase
>> (may be fixed in the next release)"
>>
>> Scott, any news on this ?
>>
>> Maarten
>
> And, it's even worse than that:
>
> The SocketAppender including LocationInfo is only running as expected,
> if the log4j-1.3alpha-7.jar from the chainsaw-bundle is used on
> application side.
>
> The file distributed here:
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/logging/log4j/1.3alpha-7/logging-log4j-1.3alpha-7.tar.gz
> Leads to a
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.log4j.spi.location.LocationInfo
>        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
>        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:
> 276)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:
> 319)
>        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.resolveClass(ObjectInputStream.java:604)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readNonProxyDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:
> 1575)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readClassDesc(ObjectInputStream.java:1496)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:
> 1732)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1329)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadFields(ObjectInputStream.java:
> 1945)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.defaultReadObject(ObjectInputStream.java:
> 480)
>        at
> org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.readObject(LoggingEvent.java:784)
>        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor16.invoke(Unknown Source)
>        at
> sun
> .reflect
> .DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl
>        at
> java.io.ObjectStreamClass.invokeReadObject(ObjectStreamClass.java:974)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readSerialData(ObjectInputStream.java:1846)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readOrdinaryObject(ObjectInputStream.java:
> 1753)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1329)
>        at
> java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:351)
>        at org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode.run(SocketNode.java:134)

The LocationInfo class migrated from org.apache.log4j.spi to
org.apache.log4j.spi.location during the log4j 1.3 development and
then was reverted during the long attempt to minimizes
incompatibilities between log4j 1.2 and log4j 1.3.  The next goal with
Chainsaw is to get a formal release out based on log4j 1.2.x and the
companions.  It would be more effective to spend effort getting that
done instead that chasing this down.