From "Jacob Kjome" <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: log4j doesn't recognize my appenders
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:43:59 GMT

How are you using the Log() class?  if you are saying using it the way I think
you are using it, you are probably triggering configuration for every instance
you get of Log.  First, this is a bad pattern.  I recommend either using
Logger directly or using a wrapper such as commons-logging or SLF4J if you are
not keen on declaring dependencies to Log4j everywhere in your code.  Second,
separate your configuration code from your Logger code.  In fact, you could
just name your config file log4j.xml, put it in the classpath, and let it get
picked up automagically by Log4j.  You really don't have to write a single
line of configuration code unless you are trying to do something extra
special.

Oh, and every time you reconfigure, the file pointed at by your file appender
will get wiped clean because you have "Append" set to "false".  Could explain
your empty log file.

Correct those issues and let us know if you still have problems.

Jake