From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where is XMLSocketAppender for XMLSocketReceiver?
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:03:16 GMT

On Aug 15, 2007, at 1:12 PM, Wilfong, Paul wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2007 at 8:40 AM, Arnold, Curt wrote:
>> I haven't followed this thread closely, but you should
>> consider migrating away from log4j 1.3 to log4j 1.2 plus appropriate
>> companions.
>
> Thanks Curt.
>
> If you read my most recent post you know I finally have achieved these
> goals (all under WindowsXP):
> 1.  Run a Java program that uses log4j, with a SocketAppender, and
> SimpleSocketServer to in turn output to a rolling file.
> 2.  Simultaneously run a C program that uses log4cxx, with a
> XMLSocketAppender, and SimpleSocketServer/XMLSocketReceiver to
> output to
> the same rolling file.  My current understanding is that the XML
> appender and receiver must be used due to C/Java compatibility issues.
>
> I used 1.3 since it has the XML receiver, and it looked to me like 1.3
> was the latest and greatest from the log4j homepage
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/index.html. Sorry for the
> misunderstanding.
>
> Based on your input, I now plan to migrate back to 1.2 plus
> companions.
>
> Is Chainsaw in one of companion packages?  I believe I have looked in
> all of them, but haven't seen it.
>
> I sure appreciate your help.

Chainsaw is its own product.  In the last few months, we have
migrated Chainsaw from using log4j 1.3 to using log4j 1.2 + several
companions.  The web site is stale since we have not officially
released any of this work, but there is a staged web site at http://
svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/index.html that
shows what the web site should look like when we can push through a
vote to start releasing these things.  The download links on the
staged web site anticipate the location of actual releases, so they
won't work, but would appreciate any feedback on the staged site.
Will probably cut some new release candidate shortly and any or all
feedback is appreciated.

It would be technical possible to have log4net and log4cxx's
SocketAppenders generate binary streams compatible with log4j 1.2.
It has been an item long on the wishlist (I think it is LOGCXX-7),
but it would take analysis the Java serialization of
o.a.l.spi.LoggingEvent and then replicating the binary layout within
log4cxx and/or log4net.

It would probably be good to have a log4j implementation of
XMLSocketAppender in extras and I might take a quick shot to put one
together.