From Paul Duffy <padu...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Looking for high speed binary appender?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:01:39 GMT
Folks,

To clarify...

- my team's current app (highly distributed, born in 98) is using legacy
home grown text based logging,
- we're looking at an upgrade to log4j.
- but major customers are saying they want to increase log column, from
(essentially moving from WARN to INFO level).

I do not have specific volume info, only that my gut tells he we'll be
heading into territory that log4j may not be able to handle.

There is talk within my team of going to a more binary based logging to
cut down text manipulation costs, disk space, etc.  In essence, defer
message formatting overhead from runtime to post processing.  Obviously
we prefer to use any robust open source solutions available.

Then there is this from the NetLogger folks...

http://dsd.lbl.gov/publications/HPDC02-HP-monitoring.pdf

...which describes a binary based logging framework which seriously
outperforms log4j.

So my questions are
- has anyone built a high volume (binary or otherwise) optimized logging
facility atop log4j?
- what other solutions have been applied when log4j performance is an issue?

Cheers