From "Slaughter, Stan" <stan.slaugh...@firstdata.com>
Subject Logging - What good is it ?
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 15:38:54 GMT
We use log4j in a Tomcat web application to log messages to
catalina.out.  This works great in development, but in our production
system we (the developers) are not allowed access to the catalina.out
log file.

So, what good is logging debug messages if you can't view the messages
when you need to the most, like when the app crashes in production ?
(yes - it makes no sense to me either).

Hence, my question: What is the most straight forward way to view the
log file remotely ?

I have no idea (and no control) on what the remote production servers
name will be, but I do know the url so I am looking for a web based
answere.  Something with the minimum functionality of 'tail -f
catalina.out' would do.

Can Chainsaw be configured in some way?

Can log4j be modified to broadcast to a specific port on a web server?

Any third party viewers - aka - like a Lambda Probe 'lite'?   One that
just allows for log file viewing.  My boss-people will not allow Lambda
Probe to be installed in production as it allows too much control (ie
developer grunts should not be able to stop/start the tomcat instances
in production).

P.S.

Do to internal departmental structuring/politics and development costs;
logging to a database is not an option.

Stan Slaughter
The information in this message may be proprietary and/or
confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify First Data
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer.