From "Wim Deblauwe" <wim.debla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Viewing plain text log4j log files (was: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?)
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 07:36:13 GMT
I just tried with "%-5p [%t] %c - %m%n" as conversion pattern and it works
ok. I don't know what those numbers are behind the category?

I also updated to the latest version of log4j and jgoodies. The other
dependencies seem to be on the latest version.

Tailing is currently not supported, you need to press refresh (or F5)
yourself.

regards,

Wim

2007/4/10, Wim Deblauwe <wim.deblauwe@gmail.com>:

> [...]
> > internal logging, with the same results)....
> >
> > INFO [Thread-1]: ache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener 0      - Loaded
> > Apache
> > Tomcat Native library 1.1.10.
> > INFO [Thread-1]: .apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol 541    -
> > Initializing
> > Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> > INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol 541    -
> > Initializing
> > Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
> > INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina 541    -
> > Initialization
> > processed in 3265 ms
> > INFO [Thread-1]: rg.apache.catalina.core.StandardService 691    -
> > Starting
> > service Catalina
> > INFO [Thread-1]: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine 701    -
> > Starting
> > Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
> > log4j:ERROR Failed to rename
> > [C:\java\apache\apache-tomcat-6.0.10/logs/localhost_istatus.log] to
> > [C:\java\apache\apache-tomcat-6.0.10
> > /logs/localhost_istatus.log.2007-04-02].
> > INFO [Thread-1]: .apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol 15933  -
> > Starting
> > Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> > INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol 16003  -
> > Starting
> > Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
> > INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina 16013  - Server
> > startup
> > in 15472 ms
> >
> > > My solution avoids that you need to convert your patternlayout string
> > and it
> > > also accepts plain text files by drag and drop (does not seem to work
> > in
> > > Chainsaw). All testers are welcome!
> > >

> > Sounds nice if it actually works.  BTW, why do you have log4j-1.2.7 as
> > the Log4j
> > dependency?  That's seriously old.  Why not update to Log4j-1.2.14?  Same
> > goes
> > for any other dependency.  Why not use the latest and greatest?  Also,
> > is it
> > possible to change the exe file so that it doesn't have a strict
> > dependency on
> > a particular version?  If I want to drop in Log4j-1.2.14, should be able
> > to,
> > but vigilog.exe strictly points to log4j-1.2.7.
> >
> > Oh, and does Vigilog tail the log file?  That is, as stuff is logged,
> > does
> > Vigilog pick it up?  Chainsaw does that with local files and remote
> > tailing is
> > a planned feature, using commons-vfs.  Remote files, loaded using any
> > commons-vfs supported protocol (such as SFTP, with authentication) is
> > supported
> > by Chainsaw, but remote tailing has yet to be implemented.  It might be
> > as part
> > of the Google Summer of Code, otherwise it might wait a little bit.

ATM,