From "Andrew Marlow" <Andrew.Mar...@icap.com>
Subject RE: RollingFileAppender
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:58:11 GMT
Cheung, Quinn wrote:
> Is there a file appender that uses a FIFO type of
> record-rolling? What I don't like about the
> RollingFileAppender is that it's not a FIFO per log entry.
> When all the log files are full, RollingFileAppender erases
> the entire contents of the oldest file instead of removing 1
> message at a time as needed.  Any ideas?

My understanding is that rolling files are used instead of cyclic logs. I wrote a cyclic log
package for C++ ages ago (see http://cycliclogs.sourceforge.net) which is fine when disk space
is tight. I was tempted to offer a java version of this but with log4j I think it's not needed.
Now that gigs are as cheap as chips I think people are expected to set aside a large amount
of space such that it will not matter when the oldest logs are deleted.

> Thanks,
>
> Quinn

******************************************************************************"
The data and information (collectively called Information) herein is the sole property of
ICAP.  The Information is confidential, may be legally privileged and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying
or distribution of the Information is strictly prohibited and the recipient of the Information
shall not redistribute the Information in any form to a third party.  If you received this
Information in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and delete all copies
on your system.

References in this Information to ICAP are references to ICAP plc, a company incorporated
in England with registered number 3611426 whose registered office is 2 Broadgate, London,
EC2M 7UR and where the context requires, includes its subsidiary and associated undertakings.
 As applicable, certain companies within the ICAP group are authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.  Any investment research sent from ICAP will provide an impartial
and objective assessment of the securities, companies or other matters that are the subject
of their research and our Conflicts of Interest Management Policy regarding investment research
can be viewed by requesting a copy from your usual contact at ICAP.  Please visit www.icap.com
for further regulatory information including details regarding the European eCommerce Directive.

We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise
you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept
liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. "