From "Luedecke, Michael J" <michael.luede...@eds.com>
Subject AsyncAppender Issue
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:29:02 GMT
I'm losing logs when I use the AsyncAppender for some reason.  This loss
of logs occurs whether I'm using a custom appender or out-of-the-box
appender (i.e. FileAppender).

I have not noticed this problem when I send a string in the log method
call.  It only seems to happen when I pass an object in the log method
call.  The object I'm sending in the log is not large or complex.  It is
a HashMap collection containing only 5 or 6 entries.

The logs that get created successfully varies.  Sometimes I get all of
the logs I'm expecting, but, most of the time I don't.  If I use the
appenders without the AsyncAppender I'm consistently getting all of the
expected logs.

I'm not creating a large number of logs (my test case only creates 3
logs).  Nevertheless, I have tried to change all of the options used by
the AsyncAppender just in case, but it has not resolved anything.

Other characteristics of my environment:
* Using log4j 1.2.14
* Using JDK 1.4.2_14
* OS is Windows XP

Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior with the
AsyncAppender?

Thanks.