From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: separate log files for application's on weblogic with log4j using RepositorySelector
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:54:31 GMT
At 05:13 PM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

 >I have tried many ways to get this to work..partly successful but overall
 >can't this to work. I even purchased the manual and reviewed it.
 >
 >Tried Log4j 1.3, It was like opening a can of worms..weblogic 8.1.6 internal
 >logging complained, had to revert back to Log4j 1.2 version.

That's too bad.  Of course this is why there will most likely never
be an official release of 1.3.  It's currently too incompatible with 1.2.xx.

 >Earlier I was able to log only class files extending Httpservlet which were
 >identified in web.xml file with load-on-startup values set to 1 and 2.
 >Looking closely at weblogic startup script, found a configuration file being
 >set there for weblogic workshop with -Dlog4j.configuration property, once I
 >commented this out, I was able to log from other class files of the
 >application however "filter" class files are not being logged, Based on
 >System.out.... statements, console shows that these filter classes are being
 >loaded even before the servlet object initializing log4j RepositorySelector
 >with load-on-startup set to 1 is loaded  At this point I am not getting
 >default log4j.log file either. Basically, my filter log is lost. Tried
 >getLogger("pcs") based on logger configuration in properties file, didn't
 >get any errors not logging.

Why in the world are you using a Servlet to perform Log4j
initialization?  That's what a ServletContextListener is for, and it
will certainly be loaded before any other webapp resources get
loaded, such as servlets or filters.  And if that fails, you can
always write a Weblogic startup class (see the Weblogic docs) that
installs the repository selector at Weblogic startup time, before any
apps get loaded.

And why don't you lower the level of your root logger in the
configuration to be DEBUG instead of ERROR?  Not permanently, just
until you verify that you are getting logging output, at which point
you can set it back.

 >I made similar changes to my second application, basically copied the
 >MyRepositorySelector.java file changed the Log4jinit.java file to set
 >RepositorySelector and Log4j.properties file or Log4j.xml file are similar
 >with exception of the "log4j.appender.FILE.File", "log4j.logger.regs"
 >entries, in bold below. Configuration file names are the same.
 >In this case both log files are being created, however, the application that
 >is loaded last during startup, only that application's log is being created.
 >First application's log is not being written after initialization entries,
 >unless second application is either removed or changes related to
 >RepositorySelector are reverted.

Probably an issue with using a classloader-based repository selector
rather than a JNDI-based one.

 >log4j.rootLogger=ERROR, FILE, CONSOLE
 >log4j.appender.CONSOLE=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
 >log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
 >#log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{ISO8601}] %-5p %c -
 >%m%n
 >log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{ISO8601}] %-5p %l - %m%n
 >#log4j.appender.CONSOLE.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{ISO8601}] %-5p %c:%L -
 >%m%n
 >log4j.logger.regs=DEBUG
 >log4j.logger.doc=DEBUG
 >log4j.appender.FILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
 >log4j.appender.FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
 >log4j.appender.FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=[%d{ISO8601}] %-5p %l - %m%n
 >log4j.appender.FILE.File=regs.log
 >log4j.appender.FILE.MaxFileSize=1MB
 >log4j.appender.FILE.MaxBackupIndex=2
 >
 >After 3 days, At this point I am not sure if I can get this to work!

I know how frustrating it can be.  But did you try the
ContextJNDISelector from the Log4j sandbox?  It is 1.2 compatible.  I
can't promise you it will work in Weblogic because I haven't tried it
with that server, but it's worth a shot.  Here's the link again....

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/sandbox/log4j/log4j_sandbox/tags/LOG4J_SANDBOX_ALPHA3/src/java/org/apache/log4j/selector/

Jake

> [...]
 >> against.
 >> It's a selector that I know, at least in my testing, works.  If you find
 >> it to
 >> work for you, you can adapt it to create your own selector which would be
 >> compatible with Log4j 1.2.  I also forgot to mention that I created a
 >> Log4j-1.2
 >> compatible ContextJNDISelector in the log4j sandbox [2].  It works
 >> slightly
 >> differently than the one in Log4j-1.3, but it might provide a good base
 >> for you
 >> to start from.
 >>
 >> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/Log4JProjectPages
 >> [2]
 >>
 >http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/sandbox/log4j/log4j_sandbox/tags/
 >LOG4J_SANDBOX_ALPHA3/src/java/org/apache/log4j/selector/
 >>

 >> Jake
 >>
 >> Quoting sohan <sohan.kasula@mms.gov>:
 >>

 >>> Hi jake,
 >>>
 >>> Before I start using Log4j-1.3, I want to confirm if my Log4j.xml is
 >>> valid
 >>> for my requirements
 >>> Below is the xml..I removed SYSTEM entry as I was getting log4j.dtd file
 >>> not
 >>> found error during weblogic startup.
 >>> In this xml do I need to specify logger entry? Am I missing anything!
 >>>
 >>> thanks,
 >>> Sohan
 >>>
 >>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 >>> <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration >
 >>>
 >>> <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
 >>> debug="false">
 >>>
 >>>    <!-- A time/date based rolling appender -->
 >>>    <!-- Logs messages to ${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/test1.log -->
 >>>    <!-- <appender name="TEST"
 >>> class="org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender"> -->
 >>>    <appender name="TEST" class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
 >>>       <!-- <errorHandler
 >>> class="org.jboss.logging.util.OnlyOnceErrorHandler"/> -->
 >>>       <param name="File" value="pcs.log"/>
 >>>       <param name="Append" value="false"/>
 >>>
 >>>       <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
 >>>        <!-- <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/> -->
 >>>
 >>>       <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
 >>>          <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->
 >>>          <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>
 >>>
 >>>          <!-- The full pattern: Date MS Priority [Category] (Thread:NDC)
 >>> Message\n
 >>>          <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5r %-5p [%c] (%t:%x)
 >>> %m%n"/>
 >>>           -->
 >>>       </layout>
 >>>    </appender>
 >>>
 >>>    <!-- ======================= -->
 >>>    <!-- Setup the Root category -->
 >>>    <!-- ======================= -->
 >>>
 >>>    <root>
 >>>       <appender-ref ref="TEST"/>
 >>>    </root>
 >>>
 >>> </log4j:configuration>

 ><listener-class>org.apache.log4j.selector.servlet.ContextDetachingSCL<

Log4j
 >>> Log4j
 >>> link
 >>> convince