From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does log4j block if disk is full?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:23:30 GMT

On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:05 AM, Jeff Drew wrote:

> I'm using a RollingFileAppender on Solaris with Hotspot 1.5.  The disk
> partition recently filled and my application hung.  The threads
> were alive,
> but not processing input. Since log4j is the only function that
> writes to
> the local disk, I'd like to know more about how it deals with this
> problem.
>

> If a Logger tries to write, say with log.info("message") but the
> disk is
> full, does the method just return immediately? If the method does
> not return
> immediately, then can that be configured?
>
> Thanks

The attempted write should throw a IOException within
org.apache.log4j.helpers.QuietWriter which is then caught and handled
by outputting a message to the console on the first failure
(OnlyOnceErrorHandler).  Unless there is a custom error handler
involved, it should not block waiting for disk space to come available.