From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Viewing plain text log4j log files (was: Vigilog listing as "Third-party extension"?)
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:00:49 GMT
Quoting Wim Deblauwe <wim.deblauwe@gmail.com>:

> I have added support for opening plain text files in Vigilog. See
> http://www.jroller.com/page/Fester?entry=vigilog_now_supporting_non_xml for
> more info.

I downloaded the 1.3-SNAPSHOT from...
http://www.jroller.com/resources/f/Fester/vigilog-1.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

Then I renamed it to "vigilog-1.2.1.jar", so i could run it with vigilog.exe.  I
dropped the following simple log file and Vigilog reports that it's an
unsupported format (I also tried removing the "log4j:ERROR" line, from Log4j's
internal logging, with the same results)....

INFO [Thread-1]: ache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener 0      - Loaded Apache
Tomcat Native library 1.1.10.
INFO [Thread-1]: .apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol 541    - Initializing
Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol 541    - Initializing
Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina 541    - Initialization
processed in 3265 ms
INFO [Thread-1]: rg.apache.catalina.core.StandardService 691    - Starting
service Catalina
INFO [Thread-1]: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine 701    - Starting
Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.10
log4j:ERROR Failed to rename
[C:\java\apache\apache-tomcat-6.0.10/logs/localhost_istatus.log] to
[C:\java\apache\apache-tomcat-6.0.10/logs/localhost_istatus.log.2007-04-02].
INFO [Thread-1]: .apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol 15933  - Starting
Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol 16003  - Starting
Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
INFO [Thread-1]:    org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina 16013  - Server startup
in 15472 ms

> My solution avoids that you need to convert your patternlayout string and it
> also accepts plain text files by drag and drop (does not seem to work in
> Chainsaw). All testers are welcome!

Sounds nice if it actually works.  BTW, why do you have log4j-1.2.7 as the Log4j
dependency?  That's seriously old.  Why not update to Log4j-1.2.14?  Same goes
for any other dependency.  Why not use the latest and greatest?  Also, is it
possible to change the exe file so that it doesn't have a strict dependency on
a particular version?  If I want to drop in Log4j-1.2.14, should be able to,
but vigilog.exe strictly points to log4j-1.2.7.

Oh, and does Vigilog tail the log file?  That is, as stuff is logged, does
Vigilog pick it up?  Chainsaw does that with local files and remote tailing is
a planned feature, using commons-vfs.  Remote files, loaded using any
commons-vfs supported protocol (such as SFTP, with authentication) is supported
by Chainsaw, but remote tailing has yet to be implemented.  It might be as part
of the Google Summer of Code, otherwise it might wait a little bit.

Jake