From "James Stauffer" <stauffer.ja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enh rqst: a variation on DailyRollingFileAppender
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:19:24 GMT
I wrote an appender that always uses the formatted name.
http://stauffer.james.googlepages.com/DateFormatFileAppender.java

On 3/23/07, Andrew Marlow <Andrew.Marlow@icap.com> wrote:
> guys,
>
> I am using DailyRollingFileAppender to have an AM and PM log for each
> day. This isn't quite what I want but is close enough for now. What I
> would really like is an appender that writes directly to the target
> file, rather than it writing it to a different file and rolling that
> file over at a certain time. It's the rolling over that I don't like. I
> have had some weird problems where log4j sometimes complains that it
> cannot do the rollover at startup.
>
> Here is an example of how a logger worked that I was using before I
> started using log4j.
>
> The logfile name was of the form <prefix>yyyymmdd-w.txt where w is a
> watch number. The day is divided into 6 watches of 4 hours each, i.e.
> 0000->0400, 0400->0800, 0800-1200, 1200->1600, 1600->2000 and
> 2000->2400. Each time a call is made to the logger it ensures that it is
> writing to the correct logfile for the current watch. If the file exists
> the record is appended, if the file does not exist it is created.
>
> The advantage of this system is that you always know which logfile to
> look at and you dont need to worry about rollover. Is there any chance
> of log4j being able to offer this facility please?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andrew Marlow
> ----
> There is an emerald here the size of a plover's egg!
> Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html
> Plain text mails only, please      http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
>

> ******************************************************************************"
> The data and information (collectively called Information) herein is the sole property
of ICAP.  The Information is confidential, may be legally privileged and is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  Unauthorised disclosure,
copying or distribution of the Information is strictly prohibited and the recipient of the
Information shall not redistribute the Information in any form to a third party.  If you received
this Information in error please tell us by reply (or telephone the sender) and delete all
copies on your system.

> References in this Information to ICAP are references to ICAP plc, a company incorporated
in England with registered number 3611426 whose registered office is 2 Broadgate, London,
EC2M 7UR and where the context requires, includes its subsidiary and associated undertakings.
 As applicable, certain companies within the ICAP group are authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority.  Any investment research sent from ICAP will provide an impartial
and objective assessment of the securities, companies or other matters that are the subject
of their research and our Conflicts of Interest Management Policy regarding investment research
can be viewed by requesting a copy from your usual contact at ICAP.  Please visit www.icap.com
for further regulatory information including details regarding the European eCommerce Directive.

James Stauffer        http://www.geocities.com/stauffer_james/