From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw V2
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:53:57 GMT
Events are routed to individual tabs based on the 'tab identifier' expression - available from
the application-wide preferences menu.  Notice the default is:
PROP.hostname - PROP.application

If this expression is used, Chainsaw examines each received logging event for both 'hostname'
and 'application' properties (usually MDC entries).  If these properties exist, a tab is created
if necessary and the event is added to that tab.

Some receivers add properties to the event to facilitate this routing (the socket-based receivers
and file-based receivers) - UDPReceiver doesn't.

There is another feature you can use: the 'view, create custom expression logpanel' menu will
create a new tab based on an expression (think of it as a 'view' of events, ignoring the 'tab
identifier' based routing).

Using the custom expression logpanel feature, you could create a new tab which contains only
your events - use this expression to receive all events except chainsaw/log4j events in a
new tab (all of your events);
! ( logger ~= org.apache )

Yes, you need the spaces around operators, keywords and parens.  This says:
Give me all events where the logger doesn't contain org.apache

Hope that helps

Scott Deboy
COMOTIV SYSTEMS
111 SW Columbia Street Ste. 950