From Shuh Chang <shuh.ch...@gemalto.com>
Subject RE: NTEventLogAppender with missing description source for Windows Server 2003
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:24:54 GMT
Yeah, it looks like that the calls to RegisterEventSource in the
nteventlog.cpp program might be out of sync.

In the Java_org_apache_log4j_nt_NTEventLogAppender_registerEventSource
function (for initial event source registration):
   jint handle = (jint)RegisterEventSource(nserver, nsource);

In the Java_org_apache_log4j_nt_NTEventLogAppender_reportEvent function (for
subsequent event reports):
   handle = (jint)RegisterEventSource(NULL, "Log4j");

It looks like the RegisterEventSource call during the initial event source
registration
(Java_org_apache_log4j_nt_NTEventLogAppender_registerEventSource) may not
have the proper source available, which causes the Log4j source missing from
the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\So
urces
as seen in my event log test from eventcreate command for the registry
inspection.

Regards,
Shuh