From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Access Log4J with JMX ?
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:07:01 GMT

I don't think any of the active log4j committers have much insight
into the existing JMX code, but if I'm wrong hopefully they will
speak up.  Search for bug reports for log4j with JMX in the summary
at at http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/query.cgi and you will come
up with a list of several reported bugs.  You can also search the
log4j-dev mailing list for JMX at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?
l=log4j-dev&w=2&r=1&s=JMX&q=b.

My understanding is that the JMX code that is in the log4j code base
was dropped in pretty much as it is with no earlier discussion and no
further development.  I recall that one of the comments described the
JMX support as not ready for production use.  If you are interested
in working on this area, I would welcome your efforts.  I'd suggest
the following steps:

1. Review the CLA at http://www.apache.org/licenses.  If you were to
submit a replacement or alternative JMX implementation for log4j, it
would likely warrant you executing one of those.

2. Review the bugzilla and mailing list discussions on JMX in log4j
and post a summary to log4j-dev.

3. Start a discussion on log4j-dev with either open questions, a list
of requirements or a proposal and see what everyone thinks.