From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Sharing appender parameters
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:47:10 GMT

It should work to define the common stuff as properties and reference
them further down the file.  So...

appenderClass=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender

log4j.appender.tuxcat=${appenderClass}

Just apply the same thing to all the other common stuff.  I haven't
tried this, so I can't guarantee it will work.  I think Log4j only
looks for properties starting with "log4j.", so Log4j should ignore
declarations the other properties.  And I'm pretty sure that you can
refer to a local property in the same property file using the
${propname} syntax.

I'm not sure what equivalent would be for XML.  You couldn't do this
other than using system properties with Log4j-1.2.xx.  I'm not sure
about 1.3.  You might be able to write Joran rules to store the
properties and use their values later in the file.  Not sure?

Jake