From "Blok, Eelke" <eelke.b...@numico.com>
Subject RE: How to configure 2 logger in the same configuration property file
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:41:01 GMT
Hi,

Hmm... I'm getting the feeling you don't fully understand what you're
doing (no offence). You are naming your loggers and your appenders to
something that looks a lot like logging levels, which at the very least
makes things confusing when, as a human, you're trying to understand
what is going on, but at worst might cause problems because the
configurator might understand what you mean to be a logger or an
appender as a log level, and vice versa. Also, by using only two
loggers, you are throwing away one of the biggest advantages of log4j,
which is granularity of logging statements, i.e., being able to "zoom
in" on a part of your program. My best advice to you is, stick with the
convention of naming loggers after the class they are used in. Have a
read through the short introduction to Log4J, it's really the foundation
you need when starting to use log4j.
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/manual.html

The one problem I spot is that you're not specifying a filename for your
rolling file appender, which means anything you write to your MAIN
logger wouldn't be logged anywhere. Otherwise, purely syntactically, I
think your config is OK (but I'm relatively new to log4j as well, plus I
mainly use XML config files), but I think a line like this:
log4j.rootLogger=NORMAL, DEBUG
might actually cause trouble, because although you've defined both
NORMAL and DEBUG as appenders, DEBUG is also a logging level, which
could confuse the configurator. I would create loggers and appenders
with all different names (loggers preferably just named after the class
they're used in, you should distinguish the severity of a message by the
log level, not by using a different logger). So, no overlapping terms
for log levels, loggers and appenders, and see if you can get things to
work then.

Best regards,

Eelke Blok