From Joni Hahkala <joni.hahk...@cern.ch>
Subject Syslog logging configuration
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:03:42 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to log to syslog, but I can't get it to work.

Bought the manual, but it doesn't say anything, and googling for it I
only found one example in the manual review.

So, I'm trying with configuration:

log4j.logger.org.glite.security=DEBUG, syslog

log4j.appender.syslog=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.syslog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.syslog.SyslogHost=localhost
log4j.appender.syslog.Facility=KERN
log4j.appender.syslog.threshold=DEBUG

# define the pattern of the messages
log4j.appender.syslog.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %-5p [%t]
%c{2} %x - %m%n

And the log4 debug log shows:

log4j: Trying to find [log4j.properties] using
ClassLoader.getSystemResource().
log4j: Could not find resource: [null].
log4j: Could not find root logger information. Is this OK?
log4j: Parsing for [org.glite.security] with value=[DEBUG, syslog].
log4j: Level token is [DEBUG].
log4j: Category org.glite.security set to DEBUG
log4j: Parsing appender named "syslog".
log4j: Parsing layout options for "syslog".
log4j: Setting property [conversionPattern] to [%d{ISO8601} %-5p [%t]
%c{2} %x - %m%n].
log4j: End of parsing for "syslog".
log4j: Setting property [facility] to [KERN].
log4j: Setting property [syslogHost] to [localhost].
log4j: Setting property [threshold] to [DEBUG].
log4j: Parsed "syslog" options.
log4j: Handling log4j.additivity.org.glite.security=[null]
log4j: Finished configuring.

But nothing ends up in the syslog.

I'm using log4j 1.2.8 on Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 compatible system.

Maybe it is something easy that I'm missing, but I'm trying to avoid
going into the source code and debugging. So, if somebody has any advice
or experience, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joni