From Adrian Sandor <adi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Log4J System alerts
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 04:14:34 GMT
Hi, I don't have much experience, but my approach would be to write a custom appender (used
with threshold set to ERROR) that keeps a list of messages, and has a timer that checks every
second if there are any errors, sends a system alert (at most one/second, showing the number
of errors and the first 5 or 10 complete messages) and clears the message list.

Adrian

----- Original Message ----
From: garima015 <garima_indiya@rediffmail.com>
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:29:07 AM
Subject: Log4J System alerts

I have a requirement where 100 transactions are fired per second.
Current application is using Log4J for generating the System alerts.
 I got to know that whenever the logger.error is used log4j is being used to
generate the alert while logger.error method is used.
I want to restrict the number of times the alert is generated.Say if all
transactions are failing then i want that alerts should be 10 in number.
 Can somebody tell me how is this implemented and where exactly is the code
where alerts are generated.
Or if some body can give me any idea how to implement this.
Any help will be really appreciated.