From Adrian Sandor <adi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Logging to multiple appenders with different levels
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 07:13:28 GMT
"Start logging"? :)
Well, I checked the docs and some other stuff I found on the net, and I think I solved the
problem.
I wrote my own LoggerLevelFilter that rejects events that match the logger but have a lower
level, and is neutral for the rest. And, of course, I used an xml configuration.
I used equals and startsWith on strings to match the logger name, I wonder if there is a better
way. But at least it works :)

Thanks for the assistance!

----- Original Message ----
From: James Stauffer <stauffer.james@gmail.com>
To: Log4J Users List <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 1:04:33 PM
Subject: Re: Logging to multiple appenders with different levels

Yes it does work in 1.2.x and start logging in the javadocs for
org.apache.log4j.spi.Filter

On 11/28/06, Adrian Sandor <aditsu@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks; where can I find some documentation about filters, and examples?
> Do they work with 1.2.14?

at the log4j 1.2.14 source/javadoc and the Category class has addAppender(Appender) and setLevel(Level)
- it looks like it doesn't support multiple levels. But to me it seems like a natural requirement.
> > As I already mentioned, I'm using a log4j.properties file. Here's an example:
> >
> > log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, main
> >
> > log4j.category.java.sql=WARN, main
> > log4j.category.java.sql=DEBUG, db
> >
> > log4j.appender.main=...
> > log4j.appender.debug=...
> >
> > (btw, should I use "logger" rather than "category"?)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Adrian

from the application at debug level, except java.sql stuff which should only log at warn level.
In the db appender, I want to log only java.sql messages at debug level (so warn or higher
levels will go to both appenders). How can I define that in my log4j.properties?

> > > Thanks
> > > Adrian

Cheap talk?
http://voice.yahoo.com