From GoodOne <monacob...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging "Cross Functional" categories in log4j
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:36:12 GMT
The scenario is like this:
I have a massive clustered application. Uses SOA with services,
webcomponents, EJBs, software agents distributed all over. They all log with
their CellName, ClusterName, NodeName, AppName, ServiceName, OtherNames in
their local space. Lets say we have a mechanism to consolidate all the log
files in a central location.
 Now I want to tweak the log generation based on WebComponents for Account
service independent of WebComponents for other services. Then I want to
change EJB Logging Level from Debug to Warn for all services across board.
Please dont ask me why I want to do that :-))) it is someone else's
requirements. We also want to have only 1 single log config file for all in
some network somewhere. Also I want to have UUID in the log for which I can
use MDC.
 How would I do it?
Constraints: I want to avoid using 2 loggers in all the classes. I want to
tweak around the log generation.
We can change log level based on Node,Cluster level. But I dont know how to
provide for a mechanism to change both technical and functional partitions
"independently".