From "James Stauffer" <stauffer.ja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Different Log4j log file(s) based on Logging Level?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:11:03 GMT
Correct!
Logger configLogger = Logger.getLogger("CONFIG." + getClass().getName());

On 8/11/06, Madduri, Murthy <Murthy.Madduri@fnf.com> wrote:
> Hi James/Javier,
>
> I realized it now after trying this. Here is my logger.
>         <logger name="CONFIG">
>                 <!-- Logging level (i.e. WARN) for this logger: -->
>                 <level value="DEBUG" />
>                 <!-- Console appender for this logger: -->
>                 <appender-ref ref="fileAppenderNew" />
>         </logger>
>
> What I have to do is have this logger initiated with "CONFIG" prefix in all the classes
where I want to track trace events.

> Thanks & Regards,
> Murthy Madduri.

regular list of levels? I mean the "config" level messages here are those messages that are
related to one flow of Configuration activity. This may include classes ( hierarchies) from
com.xxx.config.init, com.xxx.util, com.xxx.services etc. My logger definition can be very
much like com.xxx so that it picks out ALL the messages from com.xxx and below. BUT, it should
pick messages with level CONFIG only.

> I am not suggesting that new levels be added.  Instead of a config
> level, it would work much better to have a config logger hierarchy.
> You then send all logs from the config logger hierarchy to a config
> appender, all logs from the normal ("com") logger hierarchy to the
> normal appender, all logs from the security logger higherarchy to the
> security appender, etc.
>
> > I have verified in the current logging levels, If I define the logger with level
WARN, it is logging all the messages WARN and lower. Though, I try to log ERROR,it would not
pick the message since ERROR > WARN. This way, I can group all WARN and Lower levels to
a separate log file. Similarly, I wanted to have CONFIG, SECURITY, BUSINESSACTIVITY, PERFORMANCE
custom log levels in the same level below DEBUG.

> Do you want debug, info, etc messages to go to the config appender or
> do you plan to add a log level filter to prevent anything higher than
> config?

separate log file (ex, myapp-config.log) file. But, my question is how can I define a custom
Level CONFIG and make it lower than DEBUG? How can I do this in the solution mentioned below:
> > >         >>> First,create a level CONFIG.
> > >         >>>make config lower priority than DEBUG,
> > >         >>> add filters to accept only config messages in that appender

James Stauffer