From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Fixing pluginDirectory
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:02:31 GMT
Some receivers available via Chainsaw have third party jar dependencies
(for example: DBReceiver, CustomSQLDBReceiver,
VFSLogFilePatternReceiver).

Chainsaw is available via Web Start, and to support those receivers with
third party jar dependencies, we needed to provide a mechanism to load
those classes.

The mechanism we chose was to create a custom classloader which can load
classes from any jar in the $user.dir/.chainsaw/plugins directory.

To use a receiver with third party jar dependencies:

 - define the receiver in your Chainsaw config file (see an example from
Chainsaw's Welcome tab)
 - launch Chainsaw
 - check the 'ok to remove security manager' box in Chainsaw's
application-wide preferences screen
- point the 'automatic configuration URL' application-wide preference to
your Chainsaw config file's URL
 - exit Chainsaw
 - copy third party jar dependencies to $user.dir/.chainsaw/plugins
- launch Chainsaw

Scott