From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Setting up a log message server
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:26:19 GMT
I'd suggest writing to log files (FileAppender) and accessing the log
files in Chainsaw via LogFilePatternReceiver (or
VFSLogFilePatternReceiver if the log files are available via SSH).

Another option is SocketHubAppender/SocketHubReceiver, in which your
application (appender side) opens a serverSocket, and Chainsaw (receiver
side) connects to that socket to receive events.

The reason I suggest using (VFS)LogFilePatternReceiver is that it's
possible for network-based appenders to cause your application to block.
Improvements to AsyncAppender may address this, but you can't rely on
AsyncAppender to prevent this currently.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Benson-Manica [mailto:ataru@sdf.lonestar.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:09 PM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Setting up a log message server

I would like to set up log4j so that log clients (such as Chainsaw)
can connect to the application that is generating the messages, i.e.,
have that application act as a server for log messages.  ZeroConf is
not an option unfortunately, since the broadcast messages are
swallowed by the network.  Is there some built-in way to do this, or
will I have to send messages to a dedicated remote application that
can serve them to clients?

--
C. Benson Manica
ataru(at)sdf.lonestar.org