From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: need help to use chainsaw VFSLogFilePatternReceiver
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:05:42 GMT
Two things:

1. Make sure you have checked the 'ok to remove security manager' box in
the application-wide preferences menu.

2. You need the target server in your known_hosts file (by using putty
or cygwin ssh to connect to the server).

On windows, this known_hosts file needs to be in the /documents and
settings/myaccount/.ssh directory - note the dot in .ssh

Scott Deboy

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Cosnefroy [mailto:bruno.cosnefroy@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:19 AM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: need help to use chainsaw VFSLogFilePatternReceiver

Hi,

I would like to read remote log files from a jboss server through
chainsaw.

I installed the dos standalone chainsaw-bundle on a windows xp computer.
I've made tests to read a local log file using a LogFilePatternReceiver
and
it works.
Now I try to read the file on a Linux server through SSH using a
VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.

As described on the chainsaw v2 documentation (
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html), I've downloaded the
VFS
extension, VFS, commons logging and the vfs dependencies required for
ssh/sftp and placed them in the .chainsaw/plugins directory.

I can start chainsaw and when I right-click on receivers... new
receiver, i
can create a new VFSLogFilePatternReceiver.

When I create a new receiver or when I add it in my chainsaw
configuration
file and restart chainsaw, my receiver seems to be started but the
corresponding tab does not appear. I get the following info message in
chainsaw-log:
"attempting to load file: sftp://myusername:mypassword@myhost
:22/path/server.log"
and then "file not available - will try again in 10 seconds".

I've checked my username, password and path and they are correct.

I have the following jars in the plugins directory:
commons-logging-1.1.jar
commons-logging-adapters-1.1.jar
commons-logging-api-1.1.jar
commons-net-1.4.1.jar
commons-vfs-20060731.jar
jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar
jsch-0.1.28.jar
log4j-chainsaw-vfs.jar

My configuration file contains the following lines:

<plugin name="VFSLogFilePatternReceiver"
  class="org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.vfs.VFSLogFilePatternReceiver">
  <param name="fileURL"
   value="sftp://myuser:mypwd@myhost:22/var/log/jboss/server.log" />
  <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-d HH:mm:ss,SSS" />
  <param name="logFormat"
   value="TIMESTAMP LEVEL [CLASS] MESSAGE" />
  <param name="name" value="jboss-remote-log-file" />
  <param name="tailing" value="false" />
</plugin>

Is there anything I've missed?

Thanks,