From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: XML file for a custom expression in LogPanel (Chainsaw v2)
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:31:33 GMT
If you can use log4j 1.3 on the appender side, the expression syntax
used by Chainsaw is available in a filter:
org.apache.log4j.filter.ExpressionFilter, just add the ExpressionFilter
to your dbappender in your appender config xml.

OR...

You COULD add the same dbappender with an expressionfilter to the
Chainsaw xml config file.

The appender would send any events received by chainsaw -which match the
expression filter- to the database (as well as to tabs)....

BUT...that means Chainsaw has to be running to store events in the
database - probably something you don't want to do if you need to make
sure events ALWAYS make it into the database...

Good luck!

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Giordano Cerizza [mailto:gcerizza@utk.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:22 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: XML file for a custom expression in LogPanel (Chainsaw v2)

Hi Scott,
thanks a lot for your reply but I suspected it! About writing lines to
implement some features, I could do but now it's not my main aim. Maybe
in the future.
This morning I was try to figure out if it was possible to set up
different kind of branches (not only logging viewer). I mean, is it
possible for Chainsaw send logging messages to a database and not only
to other tabs? Or in another way: can Chainsaw work as a dispatcher and
send logging messages to different branches at the same time (db,
windows, files...)? If no, don't you know any other Log4j tool for
logging services with xml configurating features and working as a
dispatcher?
Thanks again for you kindness but find docs about that is really hard!
Best regards
Giordano