From "Patrick Wyss" <Patrick.W...@mobilesolutions.ch>
Subject AW: chainsaw for non-xml files
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:43:41 GMT
OK, thanks a lot. now it's close to fun hunting through my logs finding bugs ;-)

the reasons it was not working for me at first were:
- incorrect timesampFormat (my fault)
- wrong filter expression (now i use an empty one) => no new tab was opened ?!?
- if you like to use chainsaw.xml you have to set a URL not a filename in app wide rpeferences
- the logfile was 32MB and so the whole application just fell asleep....

example of chainsaw.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">

    <plugin name="logFileReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">

      <param name="fileURL" value="file:///C:/path/to/my/file.log" />
      <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
      <param name="logFormat" value="TIMESTAMP [THREAD] LEVEL LOGGER METHOD MESSAGE"/>
      <param name="name" value="whatever" />
      <param name="tailing" value="false" />
    </plugin>
    <root>