From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: log4j-caused NullPointerException
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 14:35:43 GMT

On Aug 8, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Daniel Serodio wrote:

> When I try to reload an application in Tomcat, I get the following
> error:
>
> log4j:ERROR Error occured while converting date.
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null array passed into arraycopy
>     at
> java.lang.System.arraycopy(Ljava.lang.Object;ILjava.lang.Object;II)V
> (Unknown
> Source)
>     at
> java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.getChars(AbstractStringBuilder.java:
> 331)
>     at java.lang.StringBuffer.getChars(StringBuffer.java:202)
>     at

Might try asking on the tomcat-user list.  I've seen some surprising
behavior during class reloading and it isn't an area that I have any
experience with.  If you do get an analysis, I would appreciate your
giving us a heads up by posting the resolution back here.

I did look at the code in question.  If lastTimeString was somehow
not initialized on class reload, then there could be a NPE on the
call to getChars().  However, short of a some failure in the VM or a
class reloading hack, I don't see how lastTimeString could be null.

When you post to the tomcat list, please identify the version of
log4j, tomcat and the Java VM and platform.