From "Jon Hoffman" <jhoff...@irbsearch.com>
Subject Log4j.properties FileNotFound
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:49:36 GMT
Hi,
I am new to log4j and trying to use it for a project I am currently
working on.  The problem is I would like to specify the location of the
log4j.properties file:

PropertyConfigurator.configure("/path/to/log4j.properties");

But if the file is not found, I would like to use the Basic
configuration:

BasicConfigurator.configure();

I figured I could catch the FileNotFoundException and call the basic
configurator:

try{
    PropertyConfigurator.configure("/path/to/log4j.properties");
} catch (FileNotFoundException e) {
    BasicConfigurator.configure();
}
But I discovered that the PropertyConfigurator.configure does not throw
a FileNotFoundException, it handles the exception and throws the error
to the console.  Is there another way to do this?  I have searched the
archive and the internet and could not find an answer, maybe I am not
putting in the proper search terms because it seems like there should be
an easy way to default to a Basic configuration if the properties file
is not present.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jon Hoffman