From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Log4j 1.2.9, 64-bit, Websphere Performance Problems
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:00:12 GMT
> If you take a look at my test cases, I did isolate the file I/O.  One of the
> tests writes 1000 statements to the servlet console, which I assume uses
> STDOUT.  That is blazing fast.

Why don't you just try to write some garbage to a file for testing?
Maybe go to the RollingFileAppender's source and check what it does, and
try to pinch down what _actually_ is slow - if it is plain
straigthforward file IO, then you're obviously slightly screwed in
regards to "pure java" bughunting.

.. and btw, customers that have an aversion to profilers should be shot,
at least a little bit!

> The file is on a local system, not remote.  There is no J2EE security
> enabled or anything.

> One concerning thing is that even the stand-alone Java application writes
> log statement 4 times slower.

Right..

Again - make a servlet or bean or whatever (standalone java is obviously
the simplest testing platform here), and just write a megabyte of
garbage to a file, try both binary (bytestream) and chars (maybe its the
charset conversion?!), try also in some different locations, just to
rule out "strange areas" of the filesystem - check the speed against
your own setup. You could maybe profile the standalone application, at
least? Even remote; both JProfiler and YourKit (the two I know!) can do
"profile-to-file" stuff.

Happy hacking!
Regards,
Endre.