From Dan Schlossberg <danieleli1970-lo...@yahoo.com>
Subject RollingFileAppender not rolling over in Tomcat and not reporting error.
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:27:00 GMT
Hi, I've got an interesting problem.  I'm using the RollingFileAppender in a tomcat app and
it works fine the first time, but if I redeploy the app it stops rolling over.  This is probably
a tomcat bug but log4j fails to report error.  I've got log4j.debug=true and it doesn't report
a problem.  I've debugged into the log4j code and think I've found the problem of why its
not reporting a failure.

line 148 of RollingFileAppender:
      file.renameTo(target);

This is a boolean function and its returning false (success returns true) but its not checking
the return value.  The function ends up calling a function in Win32FileSystem.Class which
calls a native function "rename0".  So this call is failing.  How do I figure out why it is
failing?

Here is my environment
Log4j: 1.2.12
Apache Tomcat:  5.0.18