From "Lewis, Cory \(Genworth\)" <cory.le...@genworth.com>
Subject RE: Logfiles sometimes overwritten at server restart
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:08:58 GMT

> Hi all
>
> I use log4j 1.2.8 in a server environement with
> DailyRollingFileAppenders. Although the property Append is
> set to true, the logfiles are sometimes overwritten on
> restart of the server application. I cannot reproduce this
> problem, it just happens occasionally.

> Somebody else encountered this problem?

I've had some similar problems on our Windows 2003 Server boxes.
SystemErr log shows that it can't rename the file(not sure why, yet, it
created it). I can usually fix it by restarting the app server and
removing the file, so it can create it itself. Then the problem seems to
go away for a while.

[6/23/06 13:26:37:349 EDT] 00001ce7 SystemErr     R log4j:ERROR Failed
to rename [D:/IBM/WebSphere/CommonViewer/log/Viewer.log] to
[D:/IBM/WebSphere/CommonViewer/log/Viewer.log.06_22_2006].