From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extracting information from log4j messages
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 18:07:08 GMT

On May 30, 2006, at 7:55 AM, zimske wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'd like to know if there's a way to extract detailed information
> from the
> message that is generated with the defined pattern. I'm aware of
> getThreadName(), getMessage() methods and so forth. However, my layout
> formats the message with following pattern: %d{ABSOLUTE} %5p (%l) -
> [%c] -
> %m%n. The message looks like this:
>
> 14:42:42,618  INFO (test.Test.main(Test.java:18)) - [test.Test] -
> BLAH BLAH
>
> for the method call
>
> logger.info("BLAH BLAH");
> However, getMessage method will simply return "BLAH BLAH".
>
> So, basically, through patterns I can get detailed information of what
> happened, when it happened, and where it happened. Can I get these
> information (method, package, line number) through log4j API as well?

org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout produces the formatted string that you
quoted by accessing the information from a
org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.  You said that you called
getMessage() and got back "BLAH BLAH".  I'm assuming that you were
calling getMessage() on an instance of o.a.l.spi.LoggingEvent, so you
already have figured out how to get access to a LoggingEvent.

The elements of your specified pattern basically do the following:

%d{ABSOLUTE} - Formats the value of LoggingEvent.timestamp (also
available using LoggingEvent.getTimestamp() in log4j 1.3).
%p - Formats the value of LoggingEvent.level (LoggingEvent.getLevel())
%l - Formats the value of LoggingEvent.getLocationInfo().
%c - Formats the value of LoggingEvent.categoryName (or
LoggingEvent.getLoggerName()).
%m - Formats the value of LoggingEvent.getMessage().