From "Philip Denno" <pde...@tsi.bc.ca>
Subject RE: TimeBasedRollingPolicy & application restart
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:00:31 GMT
How did you configure RollingFileAppender with daily rollover? This
appender only rolls based upon the size of the log file.

Did you mean the DailyRollingFileAppender? If not maybe you could try
that?

More information on your configuration would help.

Cheers,
Philip.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Ooms [mailto:dirk@onesparrow.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 3:40 AM
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: TimeBasedRollingPolicy & application restart

I asked this question a few weeks ago without success. I'll rephrase it.

I have an application that runs a couple of times per day. I configured
it with a RollingFileAppender with daily rollover. The problem is that
if the application is not running at midnight, the rollover does not
happen. My impression is that log4j is not checking the date of the log
file when it opens the file at application start-up (if it would check
the date, it could decide to rollover if the date of the last change was
yesterday).  Is my observation correct? If so, would it be a good thing
to have this date check?

cheers,
dirk