From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: [Chainsaw]: New bundles created for general consumption
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:48:54 GMT

> Okay I got that working. It wasn't clear that this was an
> installation of the software I could use on Windows. Remember
> Windows XP and so on are no longer based on DOS, so actually
> maybe you could call it a non-Webstart (or "normal")
> distribution, and explain on the page that it includes shell
> scripts for starting the application on Windows and UNIX
> platforms.

Fair point.

> But I don't want the latest version. I just want a recent
> version, and to get to know it, including the source code. I
> only want to update it manually. It's getting in the way of me
> working. Webstart sounds like it's for naive end users, not Java
> developers, as pretty much all your audience are going to be.

I'd grab the script version then.

>> The first time you launch the app via Web Start, you should
>> be prompted if you want it to create an icon on your
>> desktop.  It will download our jars, create the icon and
>> launch Chainsaw.
>
> I wasn't given that prompt. And I didn't want to *run* Chainsaw,
> I just wanted to download it, so I could install it and run it
> later, perhaps on the train.

I think Webstart may only prompt you to create a shortcut the 2nd
time, that's just webstart..

> That's not the easiest thing for me. I'm a real user. I don't
> want to have to get a browser up and running and click on a link
> everytime I want to run Chainsaw. I do loads of work offline,
> for one thing. I want my scripts to run it as and when
> necessary, perhaps.

Once installed, Chainsaw via Webstart will work in offline mode, it
does a check every so often, but if there's no network connection it
still loads.  However if you want to control what version you have,
then the script version (or use the CVS module and "ant chainsaw")

Paul